Tuesday, August 26, 2008

August 26, 2008 Adventures of the Field Vets!

August 26, 2008 (written by Jason)

Adventures of the Field Vets!

So this week Janeen and I felt like we needed yet another challenge in this road that has been our Peace Corps experience. Actually it was our cat that felt like we needed this experience. You see Tau, our cat, likes to go out at night and carouse with the ladies. Not a problem on most nights but Thursday of last week he came home with a huge gash on his belly.

The sad part was that I didn't know that it was a gash. I just thought that he might have cut himself or something. It wasn't until the following afternoon that Janeen discovered the disgusting truth. He cut himself pretty bad. The cut was about an inch long and it was pussing and being all gross. I thought that the best option at the time would be to super glue it shut. I remember hearing a radio program about how it was originally invented for that.

Well needless to say that did not work. It sure made a mess of his fur though. Got all caught up into one big knot. It was at this stage that we decided that we should stitch. Before we left Jeremy Ramsey gave me about 15 minutes of training in sutures. Using this knowledge we thought that it would be best to attempt that.

So that is what we did. Janeen held the cat down as he squirmed and cried and kicked. I went in with some suture kits that Jeremy provided. It was pretty awful. The stitches we not so bad but the skin in which they were going into was pretty tore up and so I had to go higher than I would have liked. It was not an experience that I wanted to repeat.

Unfortunately that is exactly what we had to do the next day. The rest of the super glue failed and we needed to finish the job. So again Janeen held the cat till her hands cramped and I stitched the cats stomach back together.

It is just another story that I can tell at those job interviews I hope to have when we return home in just a few months time. Which reminds me 100 days from today we fly home. Crazy right.

All the best
Jason

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go Jason! So now you are going to be a Dr.? Thank you Jeremy for the stitching lessons.

Rudi said...

I can't wait to hear the next installment of your vet experiences! I hope the cat makes it through.

I also love the new blog photo with the dunes in the background and your US-style garb. It looks like you're practicing for your next destination.

Anonymous said...

Nice. glad you got to use your training :) How are the stiched holding up? Miss you guys! Go Dodgers!