Thursday, January 11, 2007

January 8, 2006 (by Janeen)

WE ALL PASSED! Everyone in our group passed our language assessment. Jason received an Intermediate Mid level. The rubric states that a sympathetic listener will understand what he is saying. I got an Intermediate High level. The rubric says that most people will understand me, though my errors are evident and I lack vocabulary.
The test made me very anxious. I really do not like to take tests—especially orally. I was nervous pretty much most of the day since I was third from last. The tester was very nice and helped calm me down a bit. I know that I could have done better. After taking the test I thought of things that I could have said, but I didn’t say them. Oh well-- I passed and that is all that really matters.
Today we had an administrative session about money and vacation. I still think that we will be living pretty comfortably even though we are in a developing country. Of course we will be lacking amenities, but we will still be comfortable.

January 7, 2007 (by Jason)

Well I am back again, with another story in the saga that is Janeen and my life. Today is our language test day of which we must pass at an intermediate low level to pass for service (this basically means that we have to speak at a level of a 4-5 year old in order to pass). As things worked out, I was the first one to be tested, along with my friend Rachel. Janeen is probably testing as I write this blog, so if you get this in the next 5-10 min (11:28 lesotho time) throw a prayer up for Janeen.
As for me, I think that my test went pretty well. I won’t really know the results until this evening but I should definitely pass maybe even at a 6-7 year old level!! Pretty excited about that though. So lately Janeen and I have been a little tired and stressed out. We are anxious to get to our site and get some normalcy to a routine, a clean house, etc. However, after the test, we have a week of procedures, exit interviews of training (where they ask like 50 times if you are still committed to the Peace Corps, which we are by the way and if we will stick it out, which we will God forbid anything happen), and finally swearing in. It is not that we don’t love being in Maseru and hanging out with our friends, but we just want to go and get started. You know what I mean?? I don’t know if you do but it is just a little unnerving sometimes.
Thinking about the future at our site, I was already informed that 1 of my schools is going to be expanding starting in 2008. So I know that it is a long way away but the way that I am, I have already begun thinking of ideas that this could possibly mean. I think that it might be the perfect time to put in a library or an art room or something. This means that I am going to need funding for it. This is where all you out there reading this can help me out. I get very limited access to the internet and hence limited time to search for stuff like grants and what not. If you could start researching grants and funds that might be available for such things that would be awesome. Also, other volunteers in the past have petitioned local community groups and churches to collect money and resources for such projects and have had great success. We have a year to do something incredible and I would be so cool if we could do this together. If you find anything or have any ideas, shoot me an e-mail @ jason.samuelian@gmail.com
Thanks for the help! Keep the prayers and e-mails coming! They truly lift our spirits in these strange times! Love you all

No comments: