Thursday, September 18, 2008

September 18, 2008 (written by Janeen)

Well we have now completed our COS (close of service) conference. They do it early so that everyone knows all the logistics of things we have to do before we can get our “R” (as in Returned Peace Corps Volunteer). Getting on a computer has been a long line. For some reason there are a TON of volunteers in town. The seniors- our group (23 volunteers), the juniors- the CHED group (16 volunteers) were here for their one year re-connect, some of the sophomores- the ED group (not sure how many of them are here) are here for reasons I don't know, and even some of the freshman- the newest CHED group who've only been official volunteers for a month are also here. Back when we were new, we weren't allowed to come to Maseru for the first 3 months! Anyway all those people share 4 computers! I am typing this off line so that I don't waste any valuable time on the internet..

The conference was emotional, but no I didn't cry (but you can guess who did). They were trying to prepare us for the readjustment back to the states. Our boss calls it “reverse culture shock.” I don't know if they were trying to make us nervous or just trying to make us realize how difficult it will be. Apparently I'm going to want to talk about my time here and all of you won't understand (so they say). I mean I guess that's true because you didn't experience what we've experienced and your lives have continued and we haven't been a part of them at least not regularly and physically. So I guess you could say I am a little apprehensive about coming home. I mean I am excited to see everyone, but nervous about integrating. Not to mention finding a job in a time of economic decline. The pressure is more on Jason because I will most likely teach and therefore, he has to find a job first because that will determine our location.

So that's what I'm feeling right now. Pretty soon we'll start packing up our home and getting rid of stuff we're not taking with us. I guess now I can just focus on all the compositions I have to grade. I did an estimate the other day about how many I'll have completed by the time I am done and the grand total was 2,400! And that is compositions alone! I know you are all jealous and wish you could say you've accomplished such a feat! Love you all and can't wait to see you!

1 comment:

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal